Discussion is a huge part of my blog. I like and encourage visitors to respond to what I and other readers are saying, because everyone can learn and benefit from this. However, unless participants act nicely, online conversations can quickly degenerate into a shouting match, and discourage others from getting involved. Which would be a shame.
So here’s my comments policy. By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering. You can log in via WordPress.com, Twitter, Facebook—or not at all. It’s up to you.
- You may comment anonymously. I don’t recommend this, but you may do so if you wish. I may change this rule if it is abused.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you are not alone. Others are likely thinking similarly. Therefore, I would rather receive your comments on my blog than via email. It is a better use of my time to address everyone at once rather than answer several similar emails.
- You may disagree with me. I welcome debate. However, I ask that if you disagree with me—or anyone else, for that matter—do so in a way that is respectful. I will not tolerate impolite, arrogant, insulting, or condescending remarks.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I don’t have an obligation to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your blog, not on mine.
- Specifically, I will delete your comments if you post something that is, in my sole opinion: (a) snarky; (b) off-topic; (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, trolling, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or that otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit sales or web traffic, or otherwise promote goods or services. You may, however, post a link to your site or a page or post on another blog, provided that such links are within the context of the discussion.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve me from any and all liability that may result from those postings, including liability from any inclusion or reuse of them (authorized or otherwise) in other sites, publications, media, or search engine results.
- You grant me a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation. You also grant users of this site the right to link to or print your comments.
In short, my goal is to host interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people. I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this. Thanks for your assistance in making this possible.